AZA is committed to using as many environmentally responsible practices as possible and feasible for the Annual Conference. The below measures are in place and AZA is committed to carrying out these practices and encouraging all participants and attendees of the conference to do the same.
Conference Registration Materials
- AZA prints all promotional materials on Forest Stewardship Council certified, recycled, double-sided paper, printed with vegetable oil-based inks when available.
- All registration confirmation materials and badge previews will be emailed to attendees. Emailing a badge preview prevents the printing of multiple, incorrect badges.
- Registration bags will be produced from eco-friendly materials. Attendees are encouraged to reuse bags in the future.
- Recycling receptacles for attendee registration badges will be located at the registration desk and at Zoo Day to collect unwanted badge holders for re-use at other conferences and meetings.
Conference Program Materials
- Attendees are encouraged to only take one copy and dispose of in the recycle bins located throughout the convention center.
- A mobile app and mobile website will be made available, giving attendees the option to go paper-light.
- All directional and room signage is reused by AZA from one event to another, whenever possible.
- AZA encourages all speakers to provide their handouts or presentations to be posted on the website after the conference for Member access.
- All conference exhibitors and participants are strongly encouraged to use sustainable products for any promotional giveaway items.
- Exhibitors are encouraged to participate in Lead Retrieval. Attendees will have a bar code on their registration badges, allowing exhibitors to scan their badge to acquire contact information. This will cut down on the number of business cards being distributed.
- Any box lunch in the Exhibit Hall will be offered either without a box, or in recyclable containers or a reusable lunch bag when possible.
- All carpet, table clothes and signage in the Exhibit Hall will be recycled or reused as much as possible.
- Low lighting and air conditioning levels will be practiced during Exhibit Hall set up and tear down, and a schedule of conservative lighting use during non-event hours will be established.
- Attendees are provided or encouraged to bring reusable water bottles.
Green Practices at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Conservation starts at home. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is no exception to that rule. We have a variety of initiatives in place to make our Zoo more green to help protect our planet.
Sustainability at the Greater Columbus Convention Center
The Greater Columbus Convention Center North Building is LEED® Silver certified under the Existing Buildings (Operations + Management) program. Learn more about each program area and how they contribute to more sustainable conventions, meetings and events.
Hyatt Hotel's Food Philosophy
Built on the foundation of providing food and beverage options that are good for people, the planet and communities. Learn more about how chefs develop their food offerings.
Hilton Hotel's Travel With Purpose
Learn more about sustainability at Hilton Columbus Downtown.